Security Analyst (Senior)
This position provides Tier III Cyber Security Analysis to Security Operations Center (SOC). Beyond advising and guiding technical matters, this position you will help drive the implementation and adoption of new tools, research, capabilities, frameworks, and methodologies while ensuring those already in use are implemented, utilized properly, and improved.
- Identify and offer solutions to gaps in capabilities and visibility
- Promote and drive research and implementation of automation and process efficiencies
- Expert at operating in a command-line environment, to include chaining utilities, complex commands integration of tcpdump to analyze novel protocols, IP protocols, and protocols outside the scope of IDS operation or detection
- Advanced Snort capabilities, to include identifying flaws in existing rules, customization and optimization, correction of third-party rules, review and correction of Tier I and Tier II rules
- Basic scripting and development to fill capabilities gaps
- Generate and maintain technical documentation for retaining institutional knowledge
- Ability to critically read and update technical documentation with regular, periodic reviews to ensure currency
- Periodic and systematic review of indicators and rules to ensure the IDS is up to date and streamlined, with non-relevant indicators being cleared
- Ability to analyze new or novel system logs or network traffic and to make meaningful hypotheses about them, absent corresponding open-source information available
- Able to explain complex technical topics in layman’s terms to effectively communicate with nontechnical participants
- Operationalize projects such as new tools moved into production, new detection methods shared with the DoD community
- Daily consumption of domestic and international news from multiple sites, awareness of the differing biases / slants in presentation of the sites, able to conduct additional research for historical context into particular international situations in order to drive analysis
Basic Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree and 5+ years of prior IT experience, or Associate degree with 7+ years of experience.
- 5+ years’ experience working in a SOC environment
- DoD 8570 IAT III certifications required prior to starting (CASP+ CE, CISSP, CNNP, CISA, GCED, GCIH)
- Advanced knowledge of solution development techniques and best practices related to demonstration, pilot, and test management and operations.
- Demonstrated advanced knowledge of industry accepted standards.
- Demonstrated experience with researching and fielding new and innovative technology.
- Motivated self-starter with strong written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to create complex technical reports on analytic finding.
- Strong analytical and troubleshooting skills.
- Must be a US Citizen.
- Must possess an active Top Secret clearance.
- Deep technical understanding of core current cybersecurity technologies as well as emerging capabilities.
- Hands-on cybersecurity experience (Protect, Detect, Respond or Sustain) within a Computer Incident Response organization.
- Demonstrated understanding of the life cycle of cybersecurity threats, attacks, attack vectors and methods of exploitation with an understanding of intrusion set tactics, techniques and procedures (TTPs).
- Motivated self-starter with strong written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to create complex technical reports on analytic findings.
- Familiarity or experience in Intelligence Driven Defense, Cyber Kill Chain methodology, and/or MITRE ATT&CK framework.
- On-site only. No potential for telework.
August Schell Enterprises Inc. is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status.
- Position Type: Full-Time (exempt)
- Location: Aberdeen – Adelphi – Ft. Belvoir
- Experience: Mid-Level; 5+ years
- Degree: Bachelors (or Associates w. 7+ years relevant work)
- Clearance: Top Secret
- Travel: < 1%
- Telework: On-site only
- Comprehensive Medical, Dental & Vision
- 100% Employer funded HRA
- Employer paid Disability, Life and Accident
- 401K Plan and Match
- FSA & DCA Pre-tax Plans
- Tuition & Training Reimbursement
- Referral Bonus Program
- Paid Time Off & Holidays