F5 Systems Engineer, Sr-Level
Role and Responsibilities
As a Load Balancer Engineer, the candidate will oversee, manage, and coordinate network policy, configuration, and troubleshooting in support of the enterprise Load Balancers. This role is a technical role with high visibility and is expected to interface with executive leadership and supported tenants. Primary duties include managing the load balancing network and application requirements, collaborating with government and third-party stakeholders, coordinating with internal support teams, and reporting status to technical management and leadership.
- Provide architecture/engineering expertise for new load balancer implementations, cloud environment integrations, project designs, and standards development, as well as onboarding new tenants
- Provide load balancing administration/support for intelligent DNS routing between enterprise locations/data centers, as well as plan and implement upgrades (includes installation of new equipment)
- Implement approved authentication and certificate management controls
- Use caching for the enterprise infrastructure environment (hardware, software, and configuration components) and supported tenants
- Configure self IPs, port lockdown, and network routes
- Configure remote logging to external analytics software (i.e. Splunk)
- Troubleshoot, configure, upgrade, maintain, and monitor the load balancer network architecture
- Coordinate with on-site support personnel while troubleshooting
- Use enterprise service management tools to initiate, respond, and track service requests
- Create reports and analyze performance metrics
- Develop processes/procedures and related engineering documentation for troubleshooting and quickly identifying issues
- Perform reach back to OEM Vendors to de-conflict operational issues with known operating system bugs and security alerts
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- A minimum bachelor’s degree (or 3 years general experience) coupled with 7+ year’s experience in IT solutions industry.
- 3+ year’s experience in Linux and SQL/ODBC interfaces.
- Must have an active Top Secret/SCI Clearance with Full Scope Poly and must currently be or be able to favorably pass a 5 year (BI) Background Investigation.
- Demonstrated academic experience and/or training on configuring and maintaining Cisco network infrastructure.
- Demonstrated academic experience with and/or training on configuring and maintaining F5 load balancers for mission critical applications such as identity verification, traffic analysis and application load balancing.
- Demonstrated academic experience with and/or training on designing networks and implementing the full array of monitoring, logging, and authentication services.
- Demonstrated academic experience with and/or training of the OSI model.
- Demonstrated academic experience with and/or training on troubleshooting and debugging skills across the layers of the OSI model.
- Previous project management experience is preferred.
- Ability to script in one or more of the following computer languages—Python, Bash, Visual Basic or Powershell.
- Knowledge of Cloud Services such as AWS, Azure, Office365.
- Current or former completed Splunk and/or VMware training/certifications.
Required and Preferred Skills
- Technical leadership experience and advanced proficiency with protocols, design, configuration, and support of datacenter and campus network infrastructure related to load balancing solutions
- Must have experience configuring and maintaining load balancers, load balancing best practices, and general WAN/LAN network management and monitoring expertise
- In depth knowledge of hardware platforms including engineering design and deployment implementation guidelines
- Experience with patching and upgrading load balancer equipment
- In depth knowledge of TCP/IP protocols
- Experience building configurations using CLI
- Demonstrated programming/scripting experience with some of the following: Bash Scripting, Web services, SOAP, REST, APIs, XML, J2SE, PowerShell
- Broad understanding of network infrastructure topologies, security policies, firewalls, and the L2/L3 switch and router infrastructure
- Load balancer certification, CCNA/CCNP, or higher CISCO certification preferred
- Demonstrated ability to prepare and brief comprehensive engineering documentation (requirements, system design, interface control documents, security, etc.)
- Familiar with Cloud services and software defined networking
- Functional understanding of network Layer 2/3 switching and routing protocols
- Functional understanding of diverse set of networked applications and terms requiring application traffic management solutions, including HTTP, HTTPS, SSH, FTP, DNS, NTP, NAT, and others
- Microsoft Windows Server, UNIX/Linux, Active Directory
- Familiar with AWS and Azure cloud technologies
- Familiar with DevOps methodology and automation provisioning platforms
- LDAP/PKI experience a plus
- Knowledge and some experience with Service Design Coordination, Service Transition Planning & Support, and Service Release & Deployment Management processes considered a plus
- Must be a US Citizen
- Must speak and write in fluent English
- We seek out emerging technologies
- Align ourselves with progressive technology partners
- Provide our employees with challenging opportunities to unite the two.
- Comprehensive Medical Insurance
- Comprehensive Dental Insurance
- 401K Plan
- Tuition Reimbursement Plan
- Referral Bonus Program